A new guest post series from some of my favourite bloggers talking about blogging and their life. This week we have Tonya from Letters For Lucas:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started Letters For Lucas when my son was 2 ½ months old to keep family and friends updated on his life. It’s also meant to be a documentation of his childhood in lieu of a baby book and a way to maintain my sanity! So far it’s working.
The more I write and share, the more connected I feel to my role as “mommy”.
2. What have you learned about life through blogging?
Never before has it been clearer to me that I am not alone. Through blogging I have found other remarkable women just like me that have experienced the same frustrations, joys, sorrows and concerns about being a mom (and a woman) and the validation is beyond reassuring.
I have also learned that the only way to be a good writer, which I do not claim to be (yet), is to WRITE! I am constantly blown away by others writing skills and their ability to bring me to tears or double over in hysterics and it only encourages me to want to get better!
3. What have you been most surprised about about blogging?
I am constantly surprised by how generous and supportive the blogging community is. I have never met these people in real life and yet they make me feel better that some of the closest people in my circle of friends.
I don’t have a lot of followers, but I know I can count on the same 10-12 people to comment on each and every one of my posts. I love that!
I also enjoy keeping the dialogue going, so I respond to comments and I’m on Twitter a lot!
4. Any tips/tricks insider info for those interested in starting their own blog?
1. There are a lot of bloggers out there! Do not be intimidated by them, especially the ones with five times as many followers as you. You’ll get there. It’s not about the destination; it’s about the journey, as they say.
2. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and if you get stumped, ask questions. I have a fairy blogmother (Liz of a belle, a bean and a chicago dog) that I go to for advice all the time and her advice is invaluable.
3. Don’t pressure yourself to post something every single day. Write when you feel you have something to say, share or get off your chest and remember that inspiration can come from anywhere.
4. No matter what, stay true to your voice. You don’t have to be funny or deep, just be yourself! Your readers can tell when you are not being authentic.
5. And most of all have fun with it and make connections with others by following their blogs and engaging. I promise you will not be sorry!
After working in marketing for over 10 years, Tonya suffered the devastating and tragic loss of both of her parents to carbon monoxide poisoning. Shortly after she took a hiatus from her job to sort through her parents estate and heal, she found out she was pregnant! She’s been a stay-at-home-mom ever since.
When she’s not arguing with her two-year or playing “choo choos”, Tonya writes about her loss, her son, Lucas and her role as Mommy on her blog, Letters For Lucas. She can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.