When I first thought about having to go on a super-low carbohydrate diet, my first thought was not wondering how I was going to give up bread or desserts, my fear was over potatoes. I am already used to being on limited food thanks to celiac disease, but potatoes was always a safe food for me. I enjoy eating them in a variety of ways, but mashed potatoes was always my favourite. I knew there had to be a substitute that would both have the same taste and similar texture, yet would not kill the carb count and friends, I found it in cauliflower. It tastes surprisingly similar and when you mash it up well, it has a very similar texture to potatoes. Raru, who hates mashed potatoes, loves to eat this recipe which is a huge added bonus!
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- 1 head cauliflower; chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- ¼ cup bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt + pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until tender but still firm, about 15-20 minutes; drain.
- Using a potato masher or electric beater, slowly add margarine, bacon and parsley until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!Share This Post: Tweet