My husband is a huge fan of cheesecake and when his birthday came up, I really wanted to make him a blueberry cheesecake. Since basically our first date 14 years ago I have been making him a blueberry pie for his birthday each year, without fail. There were some times I made tarts and last year I made blueberry-filled cupcakes, but I wanted to make his favourite this year — cheesecake. The only issue was we’re a gluten-free household plus my husband is on a strict dairy free diet (strict as in no butter even) and he was certain he would never be able to enjoy cheesecake again — unless I made a dairy free cheesecake.
It sounded like the perfect challenge to me and so I go to work on coming up with something that would be tasty and safe for all of us to eat. Thankfully, there are a lot of products available for both the gluten-free and dairy-free peoples and I was able to make a “cheese”cake that was pretty close to a regular dairy-filled cheesecake and surprisingly it took little extra effort.
- 2.5 cups of Gluten-free graham-style crumbs (via Kinnikinnick Foods)
- ¼ cup softened vegan butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs; beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container of dairy-free (soy) cream cheese
- Pie filling of choice (I used blueberry)
- Combine graham-style crumbs, melted vegan butter and sugar until well-mixed.
- Press into a pie pan and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Add beaten eggs, sugar, and soy cream cheese into a large mixing bowl
- Using an electric mixer, beat the filling ingredients for at least 5 minutes until well-blended and creamy. It really does take about 5 minutes, so don’t skimp.
- Pour filling into chilled crust and bake in pre-heated 300 degrees oven for about 50 minutes, keeping your eye on it after 40 minutes until it’s no longer giggly.
- Pour some of the gluten-free fruit pie filling onto the top; chill for an hour and serve.
Post sponsored by Kinnikinnick Foods. Custom recipe created by Devan McGuinness.
Interested in trying it out? Purchase Kinnikinnick Foods Graham-Style Crumbs at your local store or buy online.