I have a big love-on for cornbread. It is one of those things that just remind me of home, and happy and my mom. On days where the sun isn’t shining like it should or we are all sick with the flu I like to make a huge pot of chili and cornbread. Something easy to make that says good all day and we can all eat it.
I modified this recipe to be naturally gluten free and now casein free. If you don’t need to eat dairy free just sub out the soy cream for milk and vegan butter for regular butter.
Gluten and Casein (Dairy) Free Cornbread
- 1/2 cups vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups soy cream
- 1 1/2 cups medium grind cornmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 435. Place 8-inch cast iron skillet into oven to preheat
- In a small saucepan, combine margarine, soy cream, brown sugar and cornmeal. Bring to a slow simmer and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl lightly mix together eggs, salt and baking powder and add to cornmeal mixture stirring until combined.
- Remove cast iron skillet from oven and lightly oil. Pour batter in and place in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden around the edges.
Enjoy!Share This Post: Tweet