Gluten Free / Dairy Free Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup margarine (gluten & dairy free)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (** NOTE: if you do not need to eat gluten free just substitute the gluten free flour blend with regular white flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food colouring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint candy canes, crushed (for decoration)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (for decoration)
- 1/4 cup
- In a large bowl, smooth together the margarine, white sugar and icing sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Combine the flour and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended.
- Split mixture in half and colour one half with red food colouring
- Cover or wrap dough separately and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll a small amount of each dough into a 2 inch long worm. Roll them together in a twisted rope and curve the end to resemble a cane. Place onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- In a small bowl, mix together the crushed candy cane and remaining white sugar. Roll hot cookies in the sugar mixture.
for the story behind these cookies – click over to Maija’s Mommy MomentsShare This Post: Tweet