I have been on the hunt for sometime to find a breakfast that I enjoy eating. It’s a routine that I really need to get into, it’s been on my to-do list for a long time and yet I never seem to make it a priority. There are a lot of gluten free breakfast options available from cereals, bacon/egg breakfasts and fruit, but for me nothing took the place of the feeling of warm oatmeal for breakfast.
I know there are some of you gluten free peoples who still eat oatmeal (pure uncontaminated), but I am a firm believer that celiac’s should stay away. I know for myself I can’t tolerate any form of oats, so warm oatmeal is out of the question for me.
Then a year ago I came across quinoa, it’s similar to rice and oatmeal and is incredibly versatile. It’s gluten free and can be eaten hot, cold, sweet or savoury and actually makes an incredible hot oatmeal breakfast equivalent.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 2 apples (I use gala); cut into cubes
- 1 table spoon cinnamon
- In a pot, add 1 cup quinoa and 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat, combine butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and apples. Stir until well coated.
- Simmer on stove top until butter is melted and apples are soft.
- Add the apple mix to the cooked quinoa; stir together
Share This Post: Tweet