Gluten free and a busy schedule does not have to be an oxymoron. There are a lot of quick snack options thanks to so many of the best foods being naturally gluten free. I prefer to eat as naturally gluten free as possible — it saves on stress of finding products, it reduces the processed foods and it can be quite a lot cheaper to swap out something in place of a naturally gluten free alternative.
Whether you’re looking for an after school snack or an energy boost to get you through the next phone conference, there are plenty of delicious and effective snack ideas that are safe for your gluten free diet.
1) Fresh Fruit: All fresh fruit is naturally gluten free and makes a great snack when you’re pressed for time. Enjoy a banana, apple slices or some sweet pineapple. Keeping fruit around all the time (and change which ones for the season) will also help make sure you get enough of them in your diet.
2) Veggies + Hummus: Vegetables are insanely good for you and naturally gluten free as well. Enjoy some carrot sticks, celery and green pepper with a home-made hummus dip when you need a quick pick-up. Recipe: Jalapeño Hummus
3) Boiled Eggs: A perfect size with a good punch of protein, boiled eggs are a great quick snack. Take 20 minutes every Sunday to make a whole carton of boiled eggs and store in the fridge for those quick moments. Recipe: Boiled Eggs
4) Apple Snack Sandwiches: Who doesn’t love the apple and peanut butter combination? If you’re looking for something that’s filling, healthy and quick, grabbing an apple and dipping it in peanut butter is the perfect snack. Try something new like using apple slices as ‘bread’! Recipe: Apple Peanut Butter Sandwich
5) Canned Tuna: Another naturally gluten free food, tuna is great for snack time because it’s super quick and has enough protein to keep you going until your next meal. The store often has those smaller tins now too if you find the regular size to be too much. Open the can, add a tablespoon of yellow mustard, stir together and enjoy!
6) Rice Cake Sandwich: Rice cakes are so much cheaper than store-bought gluten free bread and makes for a great sandwich. Take one rice cake and topp with peanut butter + jelly, tuna salad or cheese and mayo for a perfect and quick snack.
7) Cucumber + Cheese: Cut cucumbers up into slices and top with cheddar cheese. Using the cucumber in place of expensive store bought crackers will save money and it’s a healthier and quick snack.
8) Nacho chips + Salsa: Most salsa’s are gluten free (check the ingredients) as are nacho chips. They make the perfect snack for when you want a little crunch and spice.
9) Ham Roll-ups: I like snacks that pack some protein so it helps keep me full. Using gluten free deli ham slices (or turkey) as the front for a roll-up is a great treat. You can make them ahead of time if you know you will be rushed for snack later. Recipe: Ham Roll-Ups
10) Trail Mix: I love to mix together almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds and peanuts for the perfect snack (if you’re not nut free). You don’t need a whole lot for that food and energy boost and it’s easy to grab a handful when you have no time.
Photo credit: adapted from hellogreenstar/FlickrShare This Post: Tweet